Dance marathon to benefit hospitals

Published: Monday, January 27, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 23:01

The Aggie Belles will host the Aggie Dance Marathon, an eight-hour fundraising event to benefit the Children’s Miracle Network at the McLane Children’s Scott and White Hospital in Temple, Texas.

Leah Foushee, co-president of Aggie Belles and senior supply chain management major, said 150 schools across the nation have joined in the event, though this will be the first time Texas A&M has participated.

Food will be provided throughout the event and a variety of activities will occur every hour, including a giant twister game, an Apotheosis performance, a lip-syncing contest, a moon bounce and carnival games. Aggie Belles has invited past and present Children’s Miracle Network families to share stories and struggles.

Kathleen Reeves, co-president of Aggie Belles and senior communication major, said the event is meant to connect participants with the families they are helping from the Children’s Miracle Network.

“We will [dance] for eight hours to honor the kids and their families that have gone through a Children’s Miracle Network hospital,” Reeves said. “We hope to set the precedent that Aggie Dance Marathon is a rewarding, fun and moving event in which all Aggies will want to participate in the future.”

Nicolette Lee, Aggie Belles philanthropy co-chair and junior environmental geoscience major, said the Children’s Miracle Network is this year’s Aggie Belles philanthropy project.

“The [Children’s Miracle Network] hospitals treat over 17 million kids every year and provide over $2.5 billion in charity care,” Lee said. “The Aggie Belles are passionate about coming together for this wonderful cause and we decided to do so by joining many other schools across the nation in this incredible event that is growing in popularity.”

Lee said participation in the marathon is only open to students, but anyone can donate money through the event’s website.

“The Aggie Dance Marathon is only for Texas A&M University students, but you do not have to be a dancer of any sort,” Lee said. “We welcome all students who wish to stand to make a difference.”

The Aggie Dance Marathon will be from 12-8 p.m. Feb. 15 in the Student Recreation Center. The cost to participate is $15 and students can sign up and donate online. All funds raised will be given to the Children’s Miracle Network. Aggie Belles is also looking for families affected by the Children’s Miracle Network to attend the event, and they can contact Aggie Belles at aggiebellesphilanthropy@gmail.com.