Council invites student input on A&M budget

Public hearing to be held Wednesday

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 20:12

In response to the Texas A&M Board of Regents’ October approval of tuition and fee guidelines for the next academic year, a public hearing will be held by the Texas A&M University Council for Strategic Budgeting to inform the public and get student input.

The hearing will take place at 3 p.m. Wednesday in Rudder Forum and will include a presentation by the University on the tuition and fee plans for the upcoming year in addition to a question-and-answer session with students, said Shane Hinckley, interim vice president for marketing and communications.

Brittany Bounds, president of Graduate Student Council and voting student member on the Council for Strategic Budgeting, a board created in 2012 to make budget recommendations to the president, said the meeting is a means of complying with state law.

“According to the state of Texas, the University has to offer a guaranteed tuition and fee plan for students,” Bounds said. “Texas A&M University has to fall in line with that plan so [A&M provost Karan Watson] is probably going to address this problem, as well as an opportunity for guaranteed tuition, and then open it up for student questions.”

Reid Joseph, student body president and student voting member on the council, said the plan that will be presented Wednesday is not necessarily the final product that will be brought before the Board of Regents.

Bounds said this event is representative of the council’s deeper dedication to being open to student input.

“They have several students, both undergraduate and graduate students, sitting on the council and before any decisions are made they ask for input from our respective bodies,” Bounds said. “I think that it’s completely appreciated from the students who do have the ability to provide input to decisions that are made by the administration.”