Corps outfit readys students for Officer Candidate School

Published: Monday, April 26, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

spearhead

Courtesy Photo

Members of the Spearhead Co. say the program’s preparation has taught them what it takes, physically and mentally to be part of the Marines.

Students aspiring to be accepted to Officer Candidate School for the Marine Corps have a way to train mentally and physically for the process of admittance.

A new outfit added this semester, Spearhead Co, specifically focuses on training students, Corps of Cadets members and non corps members alike, physically and mentally for the tasks they will encounter when applying for Officer Candidate School.

"Although there are many outfits, there was not one specifically focusing on the needs of training for Marine Corps Officers, and you don't have to be in the corps to secure a place in the company," said Francisco Garza, commanding officer of Spearhead Co.

The senior political science major said Spearhead Co. has a rigorous training schedule. Members meet two days a week for Marine Corps style physical training and one day a week for the academic aspect of training.

"It is one of the hardest things that I have had to do, not only physically but mentally," said Corey Boudiette, gunnery sergeant and junior industrial distribution major. "It is really about us helping people make the right decisions and make sure they know this is what they want; it is a rough ride."

Boudiette and Garza have already started training for Officer Candidate School. They said they will take away their experience from the intensive summer training sessions and try to relay as much information back to their company as possible to help students prepare themselves for the challenge of being accepted.

"I was able to bring back first-hand experience to this organization, if you have good legs to stand on you can tell kids exactly what they are going to have to do and give them helpful hints so that they can get accepted to the program," Boudiette said.

"Spearhead Co. is a Corps organization, but we are a University organization as well, therefore membership is open to any A&M student," Garza said. "We work with the full cooperation of the NROTC, and exist, in part, thanks to the efforts of Colonel Smith and Major Downing."

Member Christopher Harrison, a sophomore environmental science major, said it is a physically demanding company.

"They always have really difficult workouts for us but they have really prepared us," Harrison said. "I am very thankful they help us, otherwise I would be on my own in this."