Corps Marches to Welcome Loftin

Published: Monday, March 1, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

newspicture

Megan Ryan

The Corps of Cadets surprise President R. Bowen Loftin at his house Monday with a march-in to honor him as new president.

0302cit_LOFTIN2_MR

Vicky Flores

President Loftin and his wife sing the Aggie War Hymn with the Corps marching band.

Top Story

newspicture

Texas Ticket

Candidates battle over top spots in primary advancing them to Nov. election

Today is primary election day for multiple state and national offices, including Texas governor. Full story

With President R. Bowen Loftin looking on from the porch of his house, the Corps of Cadets performed a march-in Monday to greet the newly instated president of Texas A&M University.

The march-in for the president is a tradition not widely known at A&M. The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band performs songs including "The Ballad of the Green Brets," "Nobel Men of Kyle" and "Patton" before concluding with the "Aggie War Hymn."

"It is not a very well advertised tradition," said Tyler Vaughan, member of Squad 20. "It is done every year as a sign of respect to signify a new president."

Not many students at the University know about the tradition because it is meant to be a surprise for the president.

A fake meeting is called with the president and his top advisers, and when everyone is present for the meeting, including the president's family, members of the Corps knock at the door.

When the president comes outside, the cadets begin the march, and the band plays its songs.

"It is exciting to get to interact with him, and it means a lot to be part of this and be involved with it," Vaughan said.

Loftin said he had no idea the meeting was a fake or the march was going to take place.

"This is very exciting. I'm stunned," Loftin said. "This is probably the greatest honor of my life."

Corps Commander Brent Lanier, a senior political science major, said it was an important moment that illustrates the Corps' support for the president.

"I thought it was great," Lanier said. "The Corps needs the support of the president, so we express our gratitude for the new president's support."

Loftin was named the 24th president of A&M Feb. 15, after being the interim president since June 15. Loftin said traditions like this are the reason A&M is such a special place.

"I met with the president of the University of Texas today," Loftin said. "Well, you will never see this in Austin."