2019 Campus Muster

Friends and family members of Aggies who passed away in the last year light candles after their loved one's name is called during the Roll Call for the Absent at the Campus Muster ceremony at Reed Arena on April 22.

In an email sent on behalf of the Campus Muster Committee, Texas A&M faculty and students were notified this year’s Muster Tradition will be continued under a new viewing format.

To adhere with current COVID-19 regulations and maintain the safety of the Aggie family, Campus Muster is asking individuals to softly whisper “here” from the confinement of their homes on April 21. The committee acknowledged this change in tradition may seem strange to those who anticipated its formal approach in Reed Arena, but assured this year’s Aggie Muster will still provide a fitting memorial.

“From its early beginnings on the islands of Corregidor to humble gatherings at the Texas A&M Administration building, this tradition has never been defined by one singular image or practice,” the email said. “We hope to celebrate this fact and honor the spirit of Muster in a way that is reverent of our fallen Aggies and reflective of the needs of our community. As such, and after consultation with the university, the decision was made to celebrate the Campus Muster ceremony in an online and televised format this year with no in-person attendance.”

The committee noted Muster Barbecue will not continue as previously scheduled. Elements of the Reflections Display and Reunion Class will still be incorporated into the online celebration.

Within the email, Campus Muster also outlined modified criteria for this year’s roll call.

“The Campus Muster will specifically honor Aggies who, at the time of their passing, were one of the following:

1. Students currently enrolled at Texas A&M University
  2. Members of the 50-Year Reunion Class (1970) who have passed away in the current year
  3. Former students who have an immediate family member that are currently enrolled at Texas A&M University at the time of their passing
  4. Former students who lost their lives while deployed serving on active military duty within the past year
  5. Current Texas A&M University College Station faculty and staff that passed away in the present year or retired/relocated within the past four years”

Those who knew individuals who meet the above qualifications are encouraged to email Campus Roll Call Coordinators. Submissions for Aggie Muster Roll Call must be received by no later than Monday, April 13 at 5 p.m.

Life & Arts Editor

Hollis Mills is an English senior, communication minor and Life & Arts Editor for The Battalion