Nate Matos

History senior Nathan Matos died Saturday after a major car accident on Holleman and Wellborn. 

Nathan Matos, a 22-year-old history senior from New Jersey and a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, has died following a car accident near the intersection of Holleman Drive and Wellborn Road on Saturday.

According to a statement from the College Station Police Department, Matos and his passenger were waiting to turn onto Wellborn Road when a vehicle traveling south along Wellborn left the roadway and then struck Matos’ vehicle. Matos later died of injuries he sustained in the crash, and his passenger — a 22-year-old A&M student from Dallas — is still undergoing treatment.

The driver of the vehicle that left the roadway is a 22-year-old A&M student and resident of College Station who was treated and released from local medical facilities, CSPD said in the statement.

Matos will most likely be honored at the next Silver Taps ceremony in September, and his name will be called at next year’s Aggie Muster, according to a statement from Traditions Council public relations officer Taylor Fennell. The Corps of Cadets will hold an Echo Taps ceremony to honor Matos this week, Fennell said, but no official time has been set.

CSPD has been working with A&M officials as it continues its investigation into the incident.

This article will be updated as additional information becomes available.