Aggie Green Fund passes

Published: Sunday, March 7, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

The A&M student body voted to approve the Aggie Green Fund Wednesday and Thursday. Fifty-seven percent of voters were in favor of adding the $3 per semester and $1.50 per summer session fee.

The student body will contribute about $150,000 to the fund per semester. Pending approval by the Board of Regents, the fee will begin in fall 2010. A University Committee, the Aggie Green Fund Advisory Board, will be in charge of reviewing project proposals and overseeing the allocation of funds. Luke Ellis, a sophomore bioenvironmental science major who volunteered for the Green Fund Campaign, said the student body will be responsible for making this initiative a success.

The cool thing about the Green Fund is that the extent of the projects is up to the creativity of the students, Ellis said:It's now up to the students to decide what they want. About 100 campuses across the nation have green funds in place. Examples of green fund projects include the purchase of electric vehicles for the campus fleet, installation of smart grid energy metering equipment and funding of student internships.

More than 4,600 students voted against the fee. Tyler Terrill, a freshman biomedical engineering major, said he was concerned students&money would be wasted. I have reservations with the fact that they seem very vague about what the money will be used for, Terrill said.I would have preferred that existing funding and resources be used to modify energy use and recycling on campus.

Approximately 37,000 students did not vote for or against the fund. Steven Martinez, a sophomore supply chain management major, said this is just another fee among a long list. There are so many fees I don't know what's on my bill anymore, Martinez said.