A&M takes win streak on road

SEC Player of Week Walker leads Aggies against Missouri

Published: Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Updated: Wednesday, January 22, 2014 22:01

Karla Gilbert

Jenna Rabel

Senior center Karla Gilbert slots third on the team with 9.5 points per game.

Courtney Williams

Jenna Rabel

Sophomore guard Courtney Williams, A&M's leading scorer, is the reigning SEC Player of the Week.

After a 73-35 trouncing of the Mississippi State Bulldogs Sunday, the No. 17 Texas A&M women’s basketball team will head to Columbia, Mo., to take on the Missouri Tigers at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Aggies (15-4, 5-0 SEC) enter Thursday’s matchup riding an eight-game win streak, including victories in all five conference games. During the streak, Texas A&M has been led by sophomore guards Courtney Williams and Jordan Jones.

Williams is the reigning SEC Player of the Week and has scored 18.3 points per game during the streak. Jones, who was named to the Nancy Lieberman Award Watch List, has dished out 7.6 assists and scored 8.6 points per game during
that span.

After starting the season 13-3, Missouri (13-5, 2-3 SEC) enters the match on a two-game losing streak. Offensively, the Tigers are averaging 10.1 three-pointers per game, which is the second-highest mark in the country, but will be up against an Aggie defense that ranks second in three-point field goal defense. Missouri also comes into Thursday’s matchup with the SEC’s leading scorer and senior forward, Bri Kulas, who averages 25.0 points per game in conference play.

“Do we have an advantage inside? Yes,” said Gary Blair, A&M head coach. “Do they have an advantage shooting a three ball? Yes. Do we have an advantage hopefully with our half court defense? Hopefully I can say ‘yes’ after the game on Thursday.”

A win in Thursday’s game would move the Aggies win streak over Missouri to 11, maintaining sole possession of the No. 1 spot in the SEC standings.

“I love where we are right now,” Blair said. “I love being the hunted instead of always being the hunter. I think it’s good for the morale of our team, it’s good for our fan base — and hopefully that will show up with butts in seats come Sunday when we play our next home game.”

Following its meeting with the Tigers, A&M will return home at 3 p.m. Sunday in Reed Arena for a battle against the No. 11 Tennessee Lady Volunteers (14-4, 3-2 SEC). The game will be broadcast on ESPN.