5 for Yell juniors win runoff

Published: Sunday, March 6, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

5

Following a challenging campaign season, Nelson Ingram and Josh Light were elected to spur the Aggies to their feet as junior yell leaders for the 2011-2012 school year. The A&M student body selected the two candidates in last week's runoff election.

Ingram, a sophomore business major, and Light, a junior chemical engineering major ran as part of 5 for Yell, a group of candidates selected by the Corps of Cadets. The two said they were excited to hear the election results at Sul Ross in front of Academic Plaza Friday night.

"I'm proud to represent the student body next year," Light said.

Ingram thanked students who campaigned for 5 for Yell and those who voted for the group. He said he is thankful for all the support and looks forward to stepping in as a junior yell leader.

"It is an honor, and I can't wait to serve this University. I can't wait to be the best I can to represent A&M," Ingram said. "Thank you for the opportunity to serve this University."

Ingram and Light were two of four final junior candidates along with Sterling Bennett, a sophomore international studies major, and Drew Nelson, a sophomore accounting major.

David Benac, a senior business major, Patrick Ivey, a senior economics major, and Austin Walker, a junior industrial distribution major, will represent A&M as senior yell leaders alongside the junior elects.  Although the group campaigned together, each candidate was selected individually for the yell leader position.

"This was a great campaign season in general," said Benac, who served as junior yell leader this past year. "We had a great opportunity to meet everyone else but it was exciting to hear the results and to see the hard work paid off when the names were announced."