MSC’s opening act

Open House returns to MSC and Texas A&M after three years

Published: Friday, August 31, 2012

Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012 00:08

MSC

The MSC Open House will be held in the MSC this year after a three-year renovation. Various clubs an

Roger Zhang - The Battalion

After being relocated for the past three years, MSC Open House is making a grand return to the heart of campus.

MSC Open House will take place Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. in the Memorial Student Center for the first time since renovation began in 2009.

This year there will be 432 tables for student organizations set up throughout two levels of the MSC — indoors and out.

“We have more groups presenting than we’ve ever had,” said MSC marketing adviser Jan Bradfield. “Partially because of the larger size and also the increase of interest of being in it.”

The open house is a chance for some of the more than 800 A&M organizations to showcase themselves to the student population, as well as offer students ways to get involved on campus.

“They’ll get a chance to meet with people who are actually in those organizations, rather than just reading about them online,” said MSC Open House communication coordinator Eric Blodgett. “They’ll be able to talk to those organizations and find out if they think that organization will be a good fit for them.”

At the open house, students can learn about groups and organizations they otherwise may not know were at A&M.

“It’s just a good way to figure out what an organization’s focus is, what they do, how you can benefit from it,” Blodgett said.

Although students from all year classifications are in attendance at MSC Open House, students new to A&M may find more benefits.

“It benefits freshman the most because it gives them a place to make contact with all the different types of organizations so it helps them to make contact with a lot of different people,” Bradfield said. “I also think it helps students who have been here for a while and are looking for something to do.”

Amanda Singer, a freshman general studies major, is planning to attend Sunday’s event.

“I’m really excited about the open house,” Singer said. “I want to find a way to get involved on campus and meet new people. I also like to keep myself busy, so hopefully I’ll find a group that I can throw myself into that will help me figure out what I want to do in life.”

By attending the open house students just might find an organization that could give them some sense of direction in the future.

“I think it’s beneficial for anybody especially if they have not found an organization and they have not found an involvement opportunity,” Blodgett said. “And if they’re a senior and they’re going to start looking for jobs at the end of the school year, they might want to look into a pre-professional organization they can use to help build their resume. It can make a difference.”

Before showing up to the open house students should make some preparations and look online at the MSC Open House website for the list of all the organizations that will be in attendance and the location of their booth in the MSC..

“Take a look at the directory and take a look at the maps and see if there are any groups that you definitely want to see,” Blodgett said.  “You can plan that out ahead of time.”

Students will find that due to the renovations of the MSC, organizations can now be closer together. All organization types are in one area, facilitating the hunt for groups of the same interests.