Like father, like daughter

Student helps parent replace lost ring

Published: Monday, September 17, 2012

Updated: Monday, September 17, 2012 18:09

lost ring

Aaron Cranford

Lt. Col. Dale Bastin, Class of 1984, looked down at his daughter’s new Aggie treasure while reuniting with his for the first time in 28 years.

Both Dale and his daughter, Mariah, received Aggie Rings Friday afternoon at Ring Day.

“I was in the military, stationed in Europe, when my Aggie ring was taken from me on a trip to Madrid, Spain,” Dale said. “I’ve felt the loss of it every day since.”

Dale said he inquired about the ring for days, searching everywhere he could before accepting that it was gone forever.

“I was worried and upset but I knew we had to move on for our trip and I had to move past the loss of something so valuable to me,” Dale said.

Dale said even after college and throughout his military career, his Aggie Ring was always his identity.

“With all our traveling, wherever we were stationed, I had that instant bond with other Aggies and other people would know a part of me just by looking at me,” Dale said.

While Dale felt the loss of his ring, it was his daughter who set out to replace it. Mariah, senior international studies major, said when it was time to order her ring she knew she had to get her father’s Aggie treasure back in his hands.

“My dad has always been to dedicated to A&M, working on Muster and other traditions. I just knew he had to be feeling the void of not having his Aggie ring,” Mariah said. “I set out to see that me and my dad got our rings on the same day and knew I had to make this happen.”

Mariah said she was studying abroad in Europe at the time and ordered the rings after enduring many communication difficulties. She said her motivation was her father’s Aggie pride, something she never understood until she came to the University.

“I had limited phone time and deadlines to meet but when the first day of registration opened I finalized the day for me and my dad,” Mariah said. “I was excited to tell my family that we would both be getting our rings, especially because I knew how much it meant to my dad.”

Mariah said she has waited for this day and the chance to finally be part of one of the most special Aggie traditions with her father.

“I am incredibly happy to share this moment with my dad and reunite his bond to the University through the ring,” Mariah said. “After coming to A&M, the spirit is really something you can’t express in words and now me and my dad have the rings that tie us back to it.”

Dale said they are very grateful to the Association of Former Students for working with his family to make this father-daughter Aggie Ring Day possible. He said his daughter’s dedication to reuniting him with an Aggie Ring was amazing to see and now they both share the symbol of A&M.

“Things happen, and though you may lose the symbol, you can never lose the values,” Dale said. “Sharing this moment with my daughter is very special to me. Having the ring, always remembering the core values of an Aggie, it’s an amazing feeling.”