Students get creative with time afforded by reading days

Published: Monday, December 2, 2013

Updated: Monday, December 2, 2013 20:12

Although the Wednesday and Thursday before finals are designed to give students time to prepare for their upcoming exams, some Aggies use the days to escape the stress of long semester.

Emily Wischnewsky, senior education major, said she will spend reading days celebrating.

“My birthday is Tuesday, so I’m going to be celebrating that and the end of the semester before finals start,” Wischnewsky said.

Sierra Shields, sophomore general studies major, said she always does something fun.

“Last year, some friends and I went bowling,” Shields said. “This year, aside from working, I plan to go to the movies and just relax. It’s not fun to be super stressed about everything, so I always take a couple days to myself.”

Emily Brown, junior business major, said she is going to relax by getting into the Christmas spirit before finals.

“I am going to decorate my apartment,” Brown said. “I also want to go to Santa’s Wonderland this year. The best way to relax before finals is to get coffee and walk around looking at lights with some friends.”

Sarah Petta, senior anthropology major, said she will use the time to go camping.

“I don’t have finals until Monday so I’m taking advantage of having a few days off before graduation,” Petta said. “Camping is always the answer to free time.”

Though she has not set plans yet, Lanette Ray, sophomore general studies major, said she will be blowing off steam somehow.

“I will definitely be doing something to get my mind clear before finals,” Ray said. “I may go camping at Lake Bryan. If I don’t end up staying overnight somewhere, then I’ll probably go play laser tag or something fun with friends.” 

Some organizations use the days to have Christmas parties or semester retreats, Ray said. 

“Last year, I went to a Christmas party during dead days,” she said. “It was a good time that fit into everyone’s schedule. Everyone seemed to really enjoy that there was still time to study, but that we could still have fun without having a particular schedule the next day.” 

Mary Leigh Meyer, junior communication major, said she would be attending a holiday party. 

“My Howdy Camp is having a white elephant party and I’m definitely ready for that to give me a break before finals,” Meyer said.