Resolution revamp

As 2014 rolls on, students reconsider goals

Published: Monday, January 13, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 13, 2014 23:01

Resolutions

Tanner Garza

Students, including Rachel Wales, junior agricultural communications and journalism major (center), display written New Year’s resolutions.

At the start of a new year and a new semester, some students are reflecting on past experiences in order to improve the upcoming year with their New Year’s resolutions.

Colin Dodson, junior biomedical engineering major, said his semester goal is to improve his academics by avoiding procrastination. Even though he anticipates a workload similar to the one he experienced last semester, he said he is taking a different approach to managing his time by setting specific times to go to the library and keeping an up-to-date planner of daily tasks.

“After looking back to last semester, I felt like I would work toward that one test after procrastinating, and didn’t learn the material as well as I could have for the long term,” Dodson said.

Dodson said he anticipates a reduction of stress if he paces himself throughout the semester.

“Even though I had a few days having to do nothing when I procrastinate, it is definitely not worth the stress of burning myself out from so much schoolwork crammed together,” Dodson said. “It just becomes a continuous cycle.”

In an effort to better organize her life, Abby Demiano, junior allied health major, said she will be working on prioritizing the academic, social and spiritual demands she faces daily. In an effort to grow more in her personal faith, Demiano said she has made a conscious decision to appreciate the true beauty in her life rather than becoming overwhelmed by academic demands.

“I just want to be the best I can and keep growing on a level that is unwavering,” Demiano said. “Your faith isn’t graded. There is no grade scale.”

Demiano said she has found running in the mornings can be a tool to relieve stress and serve as a calming start to her day. Instead of listening to music, she said she recently began to reflect and pray during her run.

“It breaks up my day — gets me in a better mood,” Demiano said. “It clears my mind. Just like in my faith, with running there is no grade scale. You just go out there and go as far as you can.”

Kelsey Routh, junior allied health major, said she wants to change her outlook on life entirely this semester by improving relationships with her family and friends. Routh said her college experience has allowed her to realize the “precious” moments that occur in life.

“A lot of times we as college students get caught up and worry about our academic accomplishments,” Routh said. “We get so caught up in scholastics, how many clubs we are in, who’s got the better summer internship — we forget about more important things. If you ever fail scholastically, your family and friends are going to be there for you no matter what.”