Rebel Run to benefit church mentor program

Run to feature obstacles, slip and slide

Published: Thursday, February 20, 2014

Updated: Thursday, February 20, 2014 22:02

Some 5K runs benefit charities, and some incorporate obstacles. The Rebel Run does both.

Rebel Run is a 5K and 8K obstacle race, and money raised from the event will benefit Youth Impact, a ministry of Grace Bible Church that uses students from Texas A&M and Blinn to mentor local youth between the ages of five and 18.

Erin Christian, Youth Impact coordinator and Class of 2011, said Youth Impact began 30 years ago and has grown to include 120 college leaders and 300-400 children.

“We did this last year for the first time and it was a good trial run,” said Micah Hoevelman, Youth Impact intern and Class of 2013. “This year we are trying to make it a little bit bigger and a bit better.”

Rebel Run will feature a variety of obstacles that volunteers have been working to create over the past couple of weeks, Hoevelman said, complete with monkey bars, barbed wire, a castle and a slip and slide.

Alexis Williams, Rudder High School senior involved with Youth Impact, said she got involved in Youth Impact in the seventh grade.

“I was struggling in my faith like a lot of people,” Williams said. “I went to camp and it kept bringing me back. It was just amazing to see how in love these people were with Jesus.”

After hearing Williams speak at the church’s annual pancake breakfast fundraiser about the effects Youth Impact had on her life, Katie Bower, senior international studies major and Williams’ mentor, said she knew she had to get involved.

“That’s when I decided to join,” Bower said. “It’s been just so fulfilling to see her grow and just to see how a ministry that’s consistent and faithful to these kids can really make an impact on them. She’s a great girl — super ambitious, super smart, really driven.”

Williams said Bowers has mentored her for two years and she has enjoyed their time together.

“She’s legit,” Williams said. “Sometimes we go to Spoons, the Village coffee shop and study or just go somewhere to hang out with each other.”

With mentors visiting the younger students at school, helping them with homework and providing a good influence and encouragement as they go through difficult times, Christian said she hopes this program and the fundraising event has a impact.

“It gives [the kids] someone to show that they are loved and that they are cared about,” Christian said. “It empowers them to be Christ-like leaders in our community.”

The 8K starts at 10 a.m. Saturday at Millican Reserve with the 5K following at 10:30 a.m. Day-of registration is $25 and can be paid by cash or check.