Performers to bring Broadway to Aggie stage

Published: Monday, January 27, 2014

Updated: Monday, January 27, 2014 23:01

Tenor

Courtesy

The Ten Tenors will perform Tuesday and Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Rudder Auditorium.

During a typical night at a Broadway production, one might expect to hear songs that tell a story, but The Ten Tenors, who hail from Australia, offer up a compilation of the greatest and most memorable songs that have graced the stages of the Great White Way.

Ben Clark, currently the longest-serving member of the Ten Tenors, has been traveling worldwide since 2008 with the other nine performers.

Clark said anyone who comes to the show should expect to see some slick moves and hear powerful arrangements and beautiful harmonies.

“They’ll see 10 great mates having an awesome time on stage, paying homage to the music of Broadway,” Clark said. “They’ll laugh, maybe cry, but above all else they’ll be thoroughly entertained.”

Kelsey Morris, manager of theater hospitality in OPAS, said she is glad to be involved in the performance.

“I think it will be unique because even though it’s a Broadway performance, it is definitely a concert as opposed to a full production,” Morris said. “It will be super fun and make you want to get up and dance.”

Jacob de Jongh, sophomore sociology major, said the performance is important to him because it allows him to enjoy the arts and enjoy a rest from his schoolwork. He said it would be a time when he can sit, order his mind and listen to beautiful and moving music.

Clark said he considers his fellow Tenors as his brothers, a bond that grows naturally as they travel and perform across the globe.

“The best part of it all is the relationships you form with the rest of the group,” Clark said. “It’s a lifelong friendship and a very special experience. The worst part of it all is pretty obvious — we’re constantly away from home. We sacrifice birthdays, weddings and those family engagements to do what we do. But it’s the price we pay to do what we love.”

Clark said he feels that part of the show’s importance stems from the fact that, for some people, the Tenors may be the only Australians they meet in their lives.

“We feel like in some small way we are ambassadors for Australia, so we carry that responsibility with us when we perform,” Clark said.

Clark said his most memorable performance with the Tenors was on a beach in Tampico, Mexico, a few years ago.

“The show was so well received that when we finished the crowd swarmed our bus,” Clark said. “We needed two military trucks to escort us out of the venue. It was awesome to feel like rock stars for a day.”

Jordan Scoville, director of auditorium operations in OPAS and senior civil engineering major, said The Ten Tenors performed in Reed Arena six seasons ago, and she is excited to see them returning to A&M with a new show celebrating Broadway music.

“They are such a unique group because they blend together classical and rock music so smoothly,” Scoville said. “Each one could stand alone, but together they are so powerful and they bring such beauty to whatever it is they may be performing. The Broadway songs they will be singing are sure to melt hearts and create many new fans.”

The Ten Tenors will perform in Rudder Auditorium at 7:30 p.m Tuesday and Wednesday. Tickets are available at the MSC Box Office.