Grammy nominated Gungor to perform in Bryan

Published: Sunday, January 12, 2014

Updated: Sunday, January 12, 2014 22:01

The Grammy nominated musical collective, Gungor, is headed to Downtown Bryan to continue their winter tour.

The concert will begin at 7 p.m. with opening performance from the band, Kye Kye. The tour will feature songs from Gungor’s most recent album, I Am Mountian.

Michael Gungor, singer and songwriter who named the group after his surname, described Gungor as eclectic with musical influences from the guitar, banjo, and sometimes cello. He said he and his wife, Lisa Gungor, the other lead vocalist, would be performing as a part of a four-piece ensemble during the tour.

“You’ll see Lisa moving from keyboard to electric guitar to the drum set, and John the keyboard player, will be playing a couple different keyboard parts and he has a bass strapped around his neck and will jump over to that,” Gungor said. “In some ways I think it’s our most ambitious tour yet.”

Gungor said his recent album experiments with new sounds including a synthesizer, an electronic keyboard that manipulates sound. He said it has been a fun departure from the typical acoustic instruments fans are used to hearing.

Alex Bartlett, sophomore visualization major, said he was excited to attend the concert and noted how the album had made a lot of unexpected changes.

“For me, it’s really exciting to see a band who is not afraid to push forward with their sound and figure out what they want to express with that,” Bartlett said.

Gungor said over the last couple of years, he has undergone many personal changes. He said the album represents a “deconstruction” of solidified ideas to ideas of uncertainty, but still reflects an openness to the “mystery” and “wonder” in everything he experiences.

“Human beings have this kind of spirit to us, this grandness, that we have the ability to imagine and think and experience transcendence, whatever you would call god, so a lot of that is what has been driving some of this new music,” Gungor said.

Gungor said that his belief system has “radically changed” and has been changing since he was in college. Gungor said he felt like the changes he experienced were common themes among college students.

“You see a lot new information, a lot of new world views and that can leave to a lot of uncertainty, a lot of doubt, a lot of, ‘Who am I? Where do I fit in the world? What do I believe about anything?” Gungor said.

Gungor said although their earlier albums had religious and spiritual ideas, music is just singing about what he believes in.

“Were just making music that comes from our heart and rings true to us,” Gungor said.

Ryan Perenchio, junior english major, who will be attending the concert, said he began listening to Gungor in the Fall 2013 semester when the new album was released. He said he liked their music because he felt like it was different from other artists.

“I think that Michael and his band are doing something really interesting and awesome in they’re just purely eliminating the Christian gospel tag,” Perenchio said. “He’s kind of seen his music from ¬¬–– you don’t need to label your music ‘Christian,’ or you don’t need a particular type of music or lyrics.”

Gungor said he felt like college students, young adults, and those moving away from their childhood are able to thematically relate to his music.

“I think the music will speak to that age very well, people who are trying to make sense of this world,” Gungor said.

Sam Holton, a sophomore finance major said he will be attending the concert, and will participate in the VIP meet and greet. He said he feels like Gungor attracts a wide audience from fans of Christian music to those that like the folk or alternative music scene.

“It breaks down those barriers by bringing in different crowds and mixing them together and having them in the same venue,” Holton said.

The Gungor concert will be held at Grand Stafford Theatre located in Downtown Bryan.