For Creager, A&M is home

Country singer, Class of '93, to perform Friday

Published: Thursday, January 16, 2014

Updated: Thursday, January 16, 2014 23:01

Creager

Courtesy

Roger Creager, Class of 1993, says visiting College Station is “like a homecoming.”

Nearly two decades ago, Aggie and country singer, Roger Creager, made his mark on the Texas country scene, starting at a small dance hall in College Station and playing open mics in Bryan.

Twice a year, Roger Creager, Class of 1993, and his band try to visit College Station for a performance. Friday, the country singer is back for a spring performance at Hurricane Harry’s, the venue he would play at on Sunday nights as a student, which ignited his love for live country music.

Creager said visiting College Station is like a homecoming for him and each performance keeps him looking forward to the next one.

“There’s just an energy in the air in College Station and it’s hard to describe and it is real — you can’t put your finger on it,” Creager said. “Every time we come into town, it’s magic, it’s powerful and it’s energetic.”

Musically inclined at a young age, Creager said he began playing piano when he was two and playing guitar when he was in high school. Although he felt he was an “average” student and athlete, music was an aspect of his life that seemed to make sense to him.

Cody Bruns, junior agricultural leadership and development major, said he has been a fan of Creager’s music for almost a decade and said he will likely attend the concert Friday night. He said he has seen Creager perform multiple times and that as an entertainer, Creager gives an exciting show.

“He’s pretty genuine, he writes pretty much all his stuff and he writes about what he believes,” Bruns said. “You know, it’s from Texas so it’s good music.”

Creager said he began songwriting while he was studying agriculture at A&M, and much of his music was inspired by his earlier years in college.

“It’s kind of like about what you know,” Creager said. “As I got older I thought differently than when I was younger, so my writing changed. But, when I was sitting in class, I would write songs while the professor thought I was taking notes.”

Creager said even though he was in and out of enrollment at A&M, some of the most vivid memories that he carried with him were those of his time spent as a Corps of Cadets member. He said from his perspective as both a “non-reg” and a “reg,” he felt like there was not a Corps member who wouldn’t value their experience in the program.

“The experience out of it, the tradition out of it — I can tell you I got a lot more out than I put in and that’s typically the case,” Creager said. “I think people come away from it bigger and better.”

Caitlyn Espitia, junior accounting major, said since she was a senior in high school, she has seen Creager perform live in Corpus, the hometown of both Espitia and Creager. Espitia said she appreciates that Creager is true to his roots and believes in the Aggie values, even as a now-successful country artist.

“You know, every time he comes to perform, he talks about A&M and I think that’s really cool now, because I get that connection,” Espitia said. “I like the fact that he remembers where it all started and the fact that he connects with the students when he tells them things like that.”

Doors at Hurricane Harry’s will open at 9 p.m. Tickets are $12.