Apologetics forum sparks faith debate

Published: Friday, February 7, 2014

Updated: Friday, February 7, 2014 00:02

Dani Kline

Jenna Rabel

Dani Kline, senior biomedical sciences major, and Becky Chupik, senior university studies major, discuss faith arguments Thursday at a Ratio Christi open forum.

Ratio Christi, the Student Apologetics Alliance on campus, hosted its first open forum of the semester in the MSC Thursday evening.

Despite the cold weather, a handful of students turned out for the evening of discussion. The Ratio Christi officers attempted to clarify students’ questions and doubts concerning the reconciliation of religion to contemporary knowledge.

John Monroe, officer in Ratio Christi and junior physics major, said in light of the Bill Nye and Ken Ham debate earlier in the week and Brother Jed’s presence on campus, he felt the open forum was especially relevant.

“Apologetics comes from the Greek word ‘Apologia,’ which means to give a defense,” Monroe said. “Christian apologetics give defenses for Christianity. The timing was largely a coincidence — a very good coincidence, of course.”

Andrew Marshall, senior mechanical engineering major, was in attendance for the first time and was interested to hear what the group had to say.

“I’ve been a Christian all my life, but my freshman year, I began exploring my faith,” Marshall said. “When I saw the poster for the forum, I decided to come.”