Letter to the Aggie family

From Firing Squad Commander, Ross Volunteer Company

Published: Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Updated: Tuesday, February 5, 2013 17:02

I would like to wholeheartedly thank all those who came to Silver Taps on Dec. 4. Your selflessness to attend was truly something special to the family of the fallen Aggie we honored that night.

Unfortunately we again must perform this incredible act of solidarity tonight, and while the Aggie family turnout for December was amazing, it was not enough. Attendance at Silver Taps is traditionally strong in September because of Fish Camp and the beginning of the academic year. Slowly but surely, however, the numbers dwindle to mainly the Corps and the few truly dedicated Aggies. We owe it to our brothers’ and sisters’ families to tell them that we cared.

Silver Taps is one of the special traditions that make Aggieland irreplaceable and is one that is unique only to A&M. To simply be in attendance is the most important act you could do for those families. Actions speak louder than words. It is a truly powerful sight to see all those caring Aggies envelop the families of our fallen brothers and sisters in a large, loving embrace. For there to be no room on the grass in front of the Academic Building and Sully, displays what it really means to be an Aggie and exemplifies the humble and loving nature of the Aggie spirit.

If you were to be honored at Silver Taps, how many people would you want to show up? How many people would you want gathered around your parents as they are led into Academic Plaza and seated in front of Sully? How many people would you want to honor your life and the person you were?
I know not everyone can see the ceremony. I know you have to stand uncomfortably close to people you don’t know. I know it seems like it takes a long time. And I know that you are extremely busy.

But please, I ask that you put aside 30 to 45 minutes to selflessly sacrifice that time to the families of our fallen Aggies by showing up at Academic Plaza tonight. The ceremony starts right at 10:30 p.m. and lasts about 30 minutes.

In the past, the area between Nagle and Bolton Halls and the YMCA Building to the Academic Building was full of Aggies who showed up to honor those at Silver Taps. We had fewer students back then as well. How much more should we now pay our respects with a student body of 50,000 Aggies?
All I ask for is simply your presence out on the plaza tonight. That is all you have to do. That alone is a wonderful act of compassion, selflessness, and devotion.

How many people would you want at Silver Taps for you?