banking

In the era of mobile banking, paper checks and physical deposits have almost become obsolete. But if you ever do have to make a deposit at your bank, you’ll need to know how to use a deposit slip.

Deposit slips are paper forms that customers fill out for their bank that tells them who they are, their account number and how much money they’d like to deposit. You also notate on the slips how much of the money you’re depositing is in cash, how much is in checks, and how much, if any, cash you want back. These slips are are included with a checkbook behind the checks.

Why do I have to use deposit slips?

Deposit slips are meant to protect both you and the bank from fraudulent activity or errors. Once you submit a slip with a deposit, your bank uses it to maintain a ledger of the funds deposited that day and to make sure they’re all accounted for. For you, the customer, your deposit slip is your receipt that you deposited money and can be used to keep track of your available funds in your checking account. Your bank usually stamps your deposit slip and hands it back to you. So, if you were to notice a mistake while checking your balance, you would be able to use the slip as proof of the amount you deposited.

How do I fill out a deposit slip?

Deposit slips will be filled out a little differently depending on what you are doing. If you’re depositing checks, they go in a certain section labeled “checks.” And cash amounts go in the section labeled “cash.” There’s also a section on the back of the slip where you can list all your checks if you have several. Then you can just enter the total on the front. It can be a little tedious and time-consuming, but not too difficult once you get used to it. Here are the steps to filling out a deposit slip.

1. Fill in the blanks: You will need to write your name as listed on your account and your bank account number. Pre-printed deposit slips will already have this information on them, but if you’re using a blank slip from the bank, you’ll have to fill it in. You can find your account number at the bottom of your checks. The first set of numbers will be the routing number that tells other institutions which bank the account is from. And the second set of numbers is your account number. The third set of numbers is simply your check number. Also, be sure to put the correct date in the “date” space.

1. List your deposits: If you are depositing cash, there is a section on the top right-hand side to fill in the amount. If you are not depositing cash, you will leave that section blank. Then, list any checks you’re depositing: Checks will need to be individually listed to show the amount of each check and the check number or other identifiers you want to use. For example, you might wish to list your check as “paycheck” or the name of the person who gave it to you to identify to yourself where the checks came from. Most deposit slips have at least a couple of lines on the front where you can list checks. But if you have multiple checks, you will need to list them on the back instead, and then enter the total of all the checks on the front.

1. Total your deposits: Include every amount you listed, including cash and checks, and enter that in the “subtotal” line. If you want cash back, you will also enter that amount in the appropriate space under the subtotal. Then enter the total amount on the bottom line, which will be your subtotal minus any cash back you requested.

1. Sign it and give it to the teller: Most banks don’t require a signature unless you are getting cash back. If you are getting cash, you will need to sign the slip in the appropriately labeled spot. All that’s left to do is hand it over to the teller along with your checks and cash.

Filling out deposit slips can be boring and time consuming task. Save yourself the trouble by ordering our personalized deposit slips. These slips can be customized and come pre-printed with all the repetitive banking information. Deposit slips are perfect for businesses and can be ordered as books or loose paper.