Gig 'em week welcomes Texas A&M students

Published: Sunday, August 26, 2012

Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012 19:08

Pizza taste-off

Tanner Garza - The Battalion

Students recieve free pizza at the pizza taste-off at Simpson Drill Field. The pizza taste-off is one of the events students can attend during Gig 'em week.

Traffic on campus peaked as students arrived and returned to campus and residence halls. Welcoming returning and new students, New Student & Family Programs coordinates Gig ‘em week before the start of the fall semester.

Gig ‘em Week on Aug. 19 to 26, is the University’s official week of welcome. The week is filled with daily activities and events helping students become familiar with the campus, fellow Aggies and the community.

“Gig 'em Week provides students an opportunity to learn more about the campus, each other, and college life in general through a series of educational and social events sponsored by university departments, colleges, student organizations, residence halls and community members,” said Carrie Bierck, Assistant Coordinator for New Student & Family Programs.

The Memorial Student Center is one of the most utilized places on campus for organizations and students. This week it has acted as meeting spots for fish camps, hang outs for friends, study spaces and event rooms.

“It has been absolutely insane in here,” said Greg Castille, senior elementary education major. “There are people in every crevice of the building. It’s exciting to see people exploring it and picking up on the traditions quickly.”

This is the 12th annual Gig ‘em week and some events are more popular than others. Events include gatherings at the Student Recreation Center, MSC, Evans Library, Rudder Auditorium and Simpson Drill Field. Currently enrolled students who participated were eligible for prizes, free food, and gain valuable knowledge, insight and connections.

“Participation varies from one event to the next,” Bierck said. “However, Freshman Convocation, the largest event, will see approximately 10,000 individuals.  Other large events include Ice Cream Carnival, approximately 1,500 and Pizza Taste-off, approximately 3,200.”

Organizations also benefited from the week of events. Many had the opportunity to recruit and meet students before open house and stood in the MSC plaza close to Gig ‘em Week events.

“We’ve been introducing students to our organization and telling them how interesting it is to be an Aggie,” said Alifa Ngamai, senior electrical engineering major and member of the National Society of Black Engineers.

While food seemed to be the most popular draw for students, most were also looking for ways to meet new people on campus.

“It is a great opportunity for new students to meet other students on campus,” said Zach Anderson, sophomore Computer Engineering major, a veteran participant who took part in the Pizza Taste-Off event.

“I’ve met friends everywhere I’ve been,” said Elyssa Kirkman, freshman genetics major. “The activities give the ability to meet new people, have fun, and enjoy people’s company.”

Other students benefited from Gig ‘em Week events by making connections with fellow classmates.

“It’s great to meet new friends and see all those familiar faces,” said Marcus Real, sophomore mechanical engineering major. “It makes the transition to classes easier.”