EDITORIAL: We are here to serve you

Published: Monday, August 27, 2012

Updated: Monday, August 27, 2012 01:08

The 2012 fall semester is officially underway with more students stepping onto this historic campus than ever before — about 700 more students than last year’s record breaking fall semester.

The thousands of freshmen officially added to the ranks of the Aggie family this week are now part of a new future, and a lot is changing around this University.

After being under construction for almost four years, the Memorial Student Center has reopened to its former glory as the campus living room. With the conference change, from the Big 12 to the SEC, A&M stands in the wake of a monumental decision that will forever alter the University, in influence and image. A&M is also in the workings of adding a medical school and law school under its purview.

Some of the changes have also fueled much debate and concern among faculty, staff and students. The outsourcing debate reached fever-pitched heights this summer, with details still uncertain. Budget cuts have and continue to impact various campus entities, from faculty retention to student services. And the campus continues to develop with inconvenient construction.

The tradition of A&M’s growth and significance has never been the action of one, rather the movement of many. Campus will grow and rivalries may change, but the A&M tradition of value must remain.

The Class of 2016 represents a dynamic turning point in the culture of our student body. Students, you are the beginning of a new generation, and there is a weight of responsibility and opportunity upon your shoulders: to steward well the traditions laid before you.

Since 1893, The Battalion has been one of the oldest on-campus traditions as the student newspaper of Texas A&M. Independent from the University and ran by students from varied and diverse backgrounds, The Battalion represents the student voice of Texas A&M. We are here to serve students. So, let us help you be a voice — the student voice — to communicate the messages you want to relay.