Conference realignment debate continues

Published: Thursday, July 29, 2010

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 22:07

When Big 12 Commissioner Dan Beebe allegedly saved the conference this summer, he made a promise to the big three schools -- Texas, A&M and Oklahoma. They would generate upwards of $20 million annually from the new television deal, a drastic increase from the $7 to $12 million accrued in 2009. Yet, nothing has been signed in regards to a new television deal and this money is contingent on other schools.

In essence, the smaller schools from the conference would give up the money earned from Nebraska and Colorado's exit fees in order to keep the ten schools together.

Well, at Big 12 Media Days, Beebe seemed to dismiss the notion, basically stating that both Texas and Oklahoma had rejected the offer and that they'd get around to talking to A&M about this "hidden" money.

Now, the A&M administration, surprisingly, doesn't want to listen. They want the $20 million they were guaranteed last month. And if they don't receive that money?

According to the Houston Chronicle, the school will sue the Big 12 and look elsewhere -- the SEC -- for conference affiliation.

The rumors began creeping up on President R. Bowen Loftin's Facebook page today and in response, he sent out a message to Beebe stating that A&M wants the money promised during the oral agreement.

"A key part of Texas A&M's decision to remain in the Big 12 earlier this summer was the commissioner's commitment that Texas A&M would receive a minimum of $20 million annually in future conference distributions," he said. "We remain committed to the conference and fully anticipate that the Big 12 will honor its commitment to Texas A&M."

And if Beebe and the Big 12 don't honor it?

Well, then the mess from a month ago looks to get a little dirtier.