Community to gather for National Night Out

Published: Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Updated: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 01:10

On Tuesday night, students are welcomed into the Bryan-College Station area through National Night Out. National Night Out brings together law enforcement, citizens, businesses and civic groups around the country to strengthen neighborhood community and promote anti-crime measures.

For Texas A&M students, the Department of Residence Life and the University Police Department will be hosting a gathering at the University Apartments Community Center.

There will be free food, beverages and prizes for those who attend, as well as an opportunity to learn more about campus safety and security. Lt. Allan Baron of UPD said that law enforcement depends on community members to report suspicious activity.

“The more community members that take a stance and report criminal activity help to make this community crime free.” Baron said.

While students may feel they are only passing through College Station, they are still welcomed as a part of the family. The efforts of UPD and residence life prove that students can call this city home, even if just for a few years.

National Night Out brings members of the community and students together to work towards one common goal, making College Station a better place.