College Colors Day calls for student spirit

Published: Friday, August 31, 2012

Updated: Friday, August 31, 2012 01:08

Despite the postponement of the Aggies’ football season opener students are still more than ready to showcase the Aggie spirit. Friday students have been given that opportunity on a national scale as Texas A&M participates in College Colors Day.

“College Colors Day is a national celebration where universities around the country working together to spotlight everything that is great about college athletics and college life in general,” said Jason Cook, vice president for marketing and communication at Texas A&M.

Cook said College Colors Day is a natural opportunity for A&M because of the Aggie brand and the pride constantly displayed on the campus.

“Texas A&M is one of the hottest brands,” Cook said. “There’s always a tremendous amount of pride and passion and spirit among Aggies and College Colors Day is a great opportunity to show our support for Texas A&M.”

To participate, students have been asked to don school colors to support the University.

“All you have to do is wear school colors — in this case maroon and white — all day long to show their support of Texas A&M and college athletics overall,” Cook said.

Students, like freshman kinesiology major Chandler Martin, are ready to participate because of the school’s spirit.

“I’ll definitely participate. Out of all schools, we’ll probably have the most spirit,” Martin said. “We should absolutely participate.”

Others, like freshman psychology major Savannah Williamson, are participating because other schools are participating as well.

“I plan on participating and showing my Aggie pride,” Williamson said. “I think it’s neat that other schools are trying to be as cool as A&M. At the end of the day, no one is as spirited as us.”

For some students, like freshman community health major Caitlin Lara, every day at A&M is a College Color Day because of Aggie pride.

“I feel like College Color Day at Texas A&M is kind of every day,” Lara said. “I told my mom that I am a true Aggie now because I had a load of laundry that was all maroon.”

Cook said this is the third year A&M has participated in this national event. It is possible through partnering with licensing agencies. Cook said this year is different because ESPN is now a partner.