Tricks and Treats

Goodies to devour on Halloween

Published: Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 31, 2012 02:10

Trick and Treat

I love finding new ways to use neat ingredients. So, when I came across the Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake recipe on Joy the Baker’s blog, I knew I had to try it.  My sous-chef’s middle sister is vegan, so this was perfect for her. Plus, the avocado frosting looks like green slime, just in time for Halloween. “It’s a trick and treat!” my sous-chef joked.

You might be skeptical or even grossed out, but trust me, you can’t even taste the avocado in the cake! It is dense, moist and a fun way to sneak in vegetables into your diet. The avocado and oil replaces the butter used in traditional cakes, but it’s undetectable. Choosing a vegan lifestyle can be difficult, but you can still have your cake and eat it too.

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Avocado from Joy the Baker

3 cups all-purpose flour

6 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups granulated sugar

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup soft avocado, well mashed, about 1 medium avocado

2 cups water

2 Tablespoons white vinegar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. You can make a cake, but I chose to make cupcakes instead.

Sift together all of the dry ingredients, except the sugar. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients together, including the super mashed avocado. If you don’t want chunks of avocado in your cake, be sure to thoroughly smash it before adding liquids. Add sugar into the wet mixture and stir. Mix the wet with the dry all at once and beat with a whisk by hand until smooth. Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 30-40 minutes; the batter will seem thin and runny.

Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely before frosting with avocado buttercream.

Avocado “Buttercream” Frosting

from Alton Brown

8 ounces of avocado meat, about 2 small to medium, very ripe avocados

2 teaspoons lemon juice

1 pound powdered sugar, sifted

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Peel and pit the soft avocados.  It’s important to use the ripest avocados you can get your hands on.  If the avocados have brown spots in the meat, avoid those spots when you scoop the meat into the bowl. Place the avocado meat into the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the whisk attachment.  Add lemon juice and whisk the avocado on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time and beat.  Add vanilla extract until combined.  If not using right away, store in the refrigerator. 

I’m making these for my friend’s Halloween party since it was a hit over the weekend with family and my sous-chef, who I can now call my fiancé. He sure tricked and treated me! Happy eating!