Ode to Mexican food

This week's vegan dinner

Published: Thursday, November 8, 2012

Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2012 23:11

vegan

Julie Blanco uses colorful vegetables to mimick Mexican flavor.

vegan

All photos by Julie Blanco

She lives! I’ve made it through the beginning of my vegan challenge. Despite only having done this for four days now, I feel like I’ve gotten the hang of it. And to be quite honest, I’m really enjoying it.

I feel as if I’ve developed a new sense of will power. Before I started this I thought I’d have trouble saying ‘no’ to certain food and have a broken heart over it, but that’s not the case. I don’t really miss my old habits. It’s fun to be doing something new and exciting that involves eating food.

As I was searching the blog world today for some interesting vegan-related info, I came across Oprah’s website. Apparently she and the team at Harpo, her production company consisting of more than 300 people, took on a vegan challenge as well. I read about one of her employees who lost 11 pounds in one week on a vegan diet.

The effects of healthy eating on your body are incredible. I haven’t seen any drastic effects in myself yet, like rapid weight loss, but I’ve had a bit more pep in my step this week. It could be my animal free diet or it could just be due to the fact that I’m getting my Aggie ring. Whoop!

And to refer back to the issue I addressed in my last post because I’m sure it’s on everyone’s mind, I still haven’t found the perfect coffee creamer yet because I haven’t been back to HEB. But thankfully, I’ve been informed that it does exist. I just have to look for it so I can soon continue to have an enjoyable jolt of java in the morning.

My vegan dinner that I planned for Monday turned out wonderfully. Since my frequent visits to Chipotle are the reason they’re staying open in College Station, I figured I should start off the week with a homemade version of their tasty food.

For my ode to Mexican food I created a one-bowl-meal using quinoa, black beans, a vine ripe tomato, avocado, fresh squeezed lime juice, some chopped red onion and cilantro.

To start it off, I cooked the quinoa according to directions on the package. While it simmered on the stove, I cut up the vegetables and shed some tears over the onions.

When the quinoa finished cooking I heated up the beans. Then I started assembling the bowl. I put quinoa in first, topped it with black beans and then the diced tomato, avocado and onion. I squeezed lime juice over the bowl and garnished it with chopped cilantro.

After I took a moment to admire the beautiful colors in my dinner, I gently mixed everything up and tasted my vegan creation.

This is a very simple and easy meal to make, especially for college students who don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen when they could be doing something else, like schoolwork or anything but that.

This meal is a good way to give your body the nutrients it needs. Quinoa is a whole grain and a good source of protein. Black beans are also high in protein and iron and serve as a substitute for red meat. And of course, the vegetables provide you with necessary nutrients along with a sense of satisfaction and a full, happy stomach.