Anti-diversity advocate expresses racial opinions

Published: Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 00:10

Racial realism

Roger Zhang

Jared Taylor, an advocate of racial realism, criticizes Texas A&M’s Vision 2020 plan Tuesday evening in the MSC Ballroom. Taylor argues that diversity in the classroom does not make everyone more globally aware or more educated.

When questions were called for, hands of different colors shot up in the crowd. Some were rough and calloused, while others were young and graceful but all were ready to seize answers from anti-diversity advocate Jared Taylor.

Taylor, a Yale graduate and the founder and editor of the American Renaissance journal, came to Texas A&M to speak about what he sees as the dangers of racial diversity within America and the University.

“Diversity does not achieve the kinds of things [the Texas A&M administration] pretends it will,” Taylor said. “It doesn’t make your education any brighter and it doesn’t make you any more competitive. At the same time, it’s achieved by racial discrimination.”

He said race was the most apparent illustration of differences among the human population.

“What is diversity? It’s supposed to include quite a large number of things: religion, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation,” Taylor said. “But the one that is most important from an institutional point of view in the United States is race.”

Taylor finds this visual representation of difference important and intertwined within the genes of humans.

“How would I define race?” he said. “Well, it’s like defining dog breeds. Race, for humans, is a function of where your ancestors evolved and it results in biological differences.”

Taylor also said race is more than skin deep. Though he said many researchers do not feel comfortable studying possible connections between ethnicity and traits such as personality or intelligence, he believes this relationship exists and works within society, whether it is acknowledged or not.

“I suspect that once genomic studies become far more fine-grained, I think it will turn out that there are temperamental differences between races,” Taylor said.

Taylor said these variations between races are apparent on a social level.

“The United States in the days before diversity was a wonderful place to live in,” Taylor said. “And that’s why other people came. I don’t blame non-whites who want to come and live in the United States. It’s perfectly normal. Whites in America, and all around the world, have built very agreeable, successful societies. That’s why all of the huge migration streams are from non-white countries — which are not such nice places to live — into white countries.”

Taylor said he mourned the move to diversity and that advocating diversity would ultimately lead to the destruction of the white population.

“Any group that does not allow itself to have legitimate interests is going the way of the dodo,” Taylor said. “It’s consigned its way to oblivion.”

Many of the students who attended Taylor’s talk disagreed with his definition of race and the problems associated with it. Silvia Ruiz, senior sociology major, criticized Taylor’s view of race as a biological construct.

“His point of view is very old fashioned,” Ruiz said. “His definition of race is biological. [It] is a classical definition of race and not a contemporary definition of race and has been disproven by scientific evidence. He used examples of genes to mockingly prove his point.”

Ruiz also said she found Taylor’s claim, that individual racial groups lacked internal diversity, problematic.

“I think a great flaw in his argument is that he assumes that all racial and ethnic groups are homogenous among themselves and share all the same interests and views,” Ruiz said.

Kamiar Kordi, junior economics and political science major, said diversity is not something to be feared but celebrated.

“I think that the inclusion of all people, no matter their race, color, gender or sexual orientation is one of the most important things of A&M,” Kordi said. “Having the diverse set of individuals come to A&M not only benefits the individual, but the University as a whole.”

3 comments Log in to Comment

IanJMacAllister
Thu Oct 25 2012 01:08
So Silvia Ruiz thinks that scientific evidence disproves an understanding of race rooted in biology and genetics? Physical anthropologists can identify the race of a subject just from examining the bones. Forensic serologists can correctly identify the racial composition of an unknown suspect from examining DNA material left behind at a crime scene. When a patient requires a bone marrow transplant, it is medically contra-indicated to obtain bone marrow outside the patient's racial group. The notion that race is "merely a social construct" was an idea put forward by Franz Boas a hundred years ago. The accumulation of scientific evidence in the past 100 years continues to undercut the notion that people are interchangeable, that we are born a blank slates, and that race is merely a figment of our collective imagination. I attended Taylor's talk, and would love to have discussed the subject with Ruiz. Perhaps the term "race" is too loaded with baggage at this point to be useful, but dispensing with the R-word does not eliminate the evidence for average group differences (clusters of alleles) across the various branches of the human family. Suggested reading: Vincent Sarich, Frank Miele, J. Philippe Rushton.
Dragon33
Wed Oct 24 2012 09:02
Here's a few questions to ponder over:

Why do only White societies believe diversity is a strength?

Are Whites the first race in history to give their nations away WITHOUT A FIGHT?

How long before White Liberal generosity and compassion toward non-Whites runs out?

If racially diverse societies are full of hate and bigotry and intolerance, why support diversity?

Why are Whites the only race celebrating diversity as they become minorities in their own societies?

Why do White Liberals embrace diversity, but usually choose to live in White neighborhoods?

Race is skin color only? Does skin color help Blacks run faster or play better basketball?

Would White soldiers be willing to defend a White minority USA?

Is 'racial diversity' a euphemism for the ethnic cleansing of White people?

NewYorkRob
Wed Oct 24 2012 03:09
Let's be frank. People don't come to America to "celebrate diversity". They come for our social benefits, our better health care and opportunity.

Diversity is NOT mentioned in the Constitution. Freedom of association is a better choice. The planet already has a diverse population and diverse culture. Diversity and multiculturalism is a social experiment that anyone can see causes conflict.

The planet is already multicultural. We don't need "help".

And finally, government should not tell me who to associate with.