Aggies win sixth straight, 7-2, against Houston Baptist

Published: Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

baseball 1

Josh McKenna — THE BATTALION

During a break between innings, University President R. Bowen Loftin offered his expertise regarding bow ties by judging a tying contest. All three competitors received approval from the resident tie expert.

baseball 2

Courtney Laine — THE BATTALION

Freshman pitcher Gandy Stubblefield allowed only one run in 4.1 innings pitched.

baseball 3

Josh McKenna — THE BATTALION

Senior first baseman Jacob House went 3-for-4 at the plate with four RBIs.

The No. 8 Texas A&M baseball team employed consistent offensive pressure Tuesday night, scoring in each of the first five innings to eventually dispatch the Houston Baptist Huskies, 7-2.

“Each time they scored, we answered and I thought we played well tonight,” head coach Rob Childress said. “Houston Baptist has got a good team. They’ve played a lot of one-run games against a lot of people and we knew we had our hands full.”

The Aggies continue to pair hot hitting with excellent pitching, recording their sixth victory in a row.

“What we did this weekend at Pepperdine carried over tonight offensively,” Childress said. “A lot of two-strike at bats and a lot of big ones, none bigger than Jacob [House]’s late one in the game there to extend our lead to 7-2 and take control of the game back. There were a lot of great at bats tonight with two strikes.”

Senior first baseman Jacob House paced the Aggies with a 3-for-4 night at the plate, tying his career-high with four RBIs. Junior shortstop Mikey Reynolds also went 3-for-4 and junior right fielder Tyler Naquin notched his team-best fourth triple of the year.

“Those guys in front of me are doing a really good job of getting on base and taking their walks and getting hits in big situations so it makes it easy for me,” House said.

Freshman pitcher Gandy Stubblefield drew the start for the Aggies, the first of his career. The Lufkin, Texas, product lasted 4.1 innings and gave up one run on four hits. Freshman reliever Corey Ray helped him out of a jam in the fifth and was eventually credited with the win for his 1.2 innings of work.

“I think I did good,” Stubblefield said. “I didn’t feel tired, but the ball kept diving and I think my velocity went down. I’m not 100 percent on that yet, but I think I did alright. I can definitely do better.”

The Aggies scored a run on two hits in each of the first four innings, with Naquin’s RBI-single in the bottom of the first, kick-starting the effort. The fact that Aggie runners were able to cross home with the aid of only two hits points to aggressive movement on the base path, where Andy Sawyers, associate head coach, called for steals early and often. The Aggies attempted to take six bases and were successful half the time; Reynolds led the way with two swipes.

“Andy does an amazing job at third base,” Childress said. “We’re very lucky to have him here coaching with us and running our offense.”

The Huskies encroached on the Aggies lead in the top of the seventh, when Asai Adame’s single brought the score to 5-2. But A&M’s veteran leadership responded in the bottom of the frame with a big play when it counted, this time in the form of a two-RBI double to deep left from the consistency king himself, Jacob House.

“That’s kind of become our thing,” House said. “Let’s get one an inning and see if we can get more. It’s pretty hard to come back if you just keep putting it on ‘em. You don’t have to score in bunches all the time, and I think just being consistent is the thing.”