Aggies crush Demons, 8-1

A&M completes sweep after wild game one comeback

Published: Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

Junior Tyler Naquin went 4-for-5 Wednesday afternoon to help the No. 5 Texas A&M baseball team sweep Northwestern State, 8–1, in a two-game series at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park.

Coming off a 14-10 victory Tuesday night against the Demons — where the Aggies trailed 10–1 in the sixth inning and rallied for the victory — they were able to bounce back for an 8–1 win and the series sweep Wednesday afternoon.  

"I thought we played as well as we have in a long time, probably since that first weekend series," Texas A&M head coach Rob Childress said. "I was proud of the way we played in every facet of the game: offensively, defensively and on the mound."

Right-handed freshman Corey Ray made his pitching debut for the Aggies, going seven innings, giving up one run on six hits, while striking out four batters.

"I was really proud of Corey Ray's performance," Childress said. "That's about as well as I've seen him pitch in a while. He got rattled a little bit in the first inning. The one walk he had, they made him pay for it, but after that he really settled in and pitched a heck of a ball game. It's important for us. We've got another guy that we can count on in the middle of the week."

Despite giving up the lone run for the Aggies in the first inning, the Spring, Texas, native was commanding his pitches, earning a shaving cream pie to the face of approval by his teammates after the game.

Sophomore Parker Ray and senior Estevan Uriegas, both striking out two batters apiece in relief, followed Corey Ray with shutout innings.  

"I just started hitting my spots and let my defense do the work," Ray said. "I have a great defense behind me and a great catcher."

The Aggies' bats came alive in the fifth inning, scoring five runs. The maroon and white had 15 hits on the afternoon while four Aggies had multi-hit performances. Junior shortstop Mikey Reynolds set his personal best, notching three singles in the win.

Naquin completed his fourth career four-hit game Wednesday afternoon against the Demons, as the right fielder leads the team with a .522 batting average. Naquin also collected his 16th career outfield assist, throwing a Northwestern State base runner out at second base on a laser throw from right field.

"It's a blessing to have the opportunity to be able to wear this uniform and be able to be out here and play on a great team under a talented coaching staff," Naquin said. "They [the coaches] just tell me to go out there and play, let everything take care of itself and don't think about it."

The Aggies will return to the diamond Friday evening, for a three-game weekend series against Big 10 favorite Michigan State at Olsen Field at Blue Bell Park. First pitch for Friday's game is set for 6:35 p.m.