Covering Texas A&M
Published: Thursday, May 20, 2010
Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07
List of winners:
- Kevin Alexander, class of 2009, 1st place in In-depth reporting, Shattered life April 28-29.
A moving story beautifully told. There was not a wasted word in either story. Excellent story telling. Excellent journalism.
- Kyle Cunningham, 1st place in sports news story, Renewing a Thanksgiving tradition Nov. 25
In addition to being well written, it was very informative and it's clear that a lot of
research was put into the story
- Kyle Cunningham, Honorable mention in sports feature, Taking the reins Nov. 6
- Nicholas Badger, Honorable mention for news photo, Service Minded Oct. 19
- Patrick Clayton, class of 2009, Honorable mention, Feature photo, Fanfare for the Fourth July 6
- Jeremy Northum, Honorable mention, Sports feature photo, Undefeated, Sept. 28
- Jon Eilts, class of 2010, Honorable mention, Sports action photo, Suiting up, March 26
- Stephen Fogg, class of 2009, & Doug Klembara, 2nd place, Picture story, Songfest, Dec. 8
Great photos under difficult lighting. Uses B/W very well. Nice to see "old" methods.
- Staff Honorable mention, Editorial, Protestors pass presidential test, Oct. 19
- Kat Drinkwater, class of 2010, Honorable mention, General column, Holding back the hate Oct. 27
- David Harris Honorable mention Sports column, What's wrong with the Big 12 Nov. 3
- Clay Harley Honorable mention Critical review, Blast from the past Dec. 3
- Osazuwa Okundaye Honorable mention, Editorial cartoon, Meal plan Aug. 4
- Micah Stephens Honorable mention Page One design, Obama on the way Sept. 16
- Karen Cruickshanks & Chris Griffin 1st place Single Subject design, Finding Aggieland June 10
Wonderful illustration and interesting color and varied font size in headlines
- Nicholas Badger 3rd place Single Subject design, The past four years May 11
- Jason Staggs 1st place Opinion/Editorial page, Of dining and dollars Aug 4
- Osazuwa Okundaye Honorable mention Illustration, Myths and legends Aug. 26
A little busy, a la "Where's Waldo" but well thought out, researched and creative.
- Ramya Prakash 3rd place Information graphic, Bonfire Memorial Nov. 17
Clean, good, effective use of black and white.
- 2nd place Special section, Bonfire: Remembering the Stack, Nov. 17
- 3rd place Overall excellence: Staff, Oct. 13-15, 2009
Fresh look each day. Good mix of photos, graphics and artwork. Very good headlines.
- 1st place online multimedia package: Bonfire
- 2nd place online interactivity: Obama coverage, overall
- 1st place best online video: Christian Hughes, Rudder Rangers Quad Assault
Comments: This demonstrated the best way for newspapers to use video. Not every story easily lends itself to video. Video should be reserved to show something or act as a sidebar to a print story. Nice job on keeping some natural sound behind the subject's interview. I would have liked to see some tighter shots while in the midst of action, perhaps while some of the men were being carried away.
- 1st place best slide show: Stephen Fogg, Belief in Ben
- 2nd place general web site excellence