A&M ranked among top universities

Published: Thursday, September 29, 2011

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 22:07

Vision 2020 was adopted 11 years ago with the goal of making Texas A&M University one of the top-10 public universities in the nation by the year 2020.

The University was recently ranked 19 among public universities according to the U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges 2012 rankings. Texas A&M is tied at 19 with three other public institutions: the University of Florida, the University of Connecticut and the University of Pittsburgh. Texas A&M ranked 58 among all public and private universities.

"The U.S. News and World Report rankings are an indicator of Texas A&M's progress overall," said Jason Cook, Texas A&M University vice president of Marketing and Communications.

The publication also rated A&M second among Texas colleges and among public institutions in its "Great Schools, Great Prices" category. Rice University appeared two places before A&M, and the University of North Carolina — Chapel Hill was the highest-ranked public institution  

A&M's Dwight Look College of Engineering ranked ninth among public engineering schools.

U.S. News and World Report Best Colleges 2012 bases their rankings on four criteria: freshmen retention, graduation rates, student selectivity and faculty strength.  

Cook said the uniqueness of Texas A&M in comparison to other schools is reflected in the rankings.

"What makes Texas A&M special… is our combination of world-class academics and unmatched spirit and traditions," Cook said.

Senior environmental studies major Morgan Moliver said traditions and growth have created a large, close-knit Aggie network that benefits Texas A&M graduates and employers.

"When you have a built community that you can go out to and rely on and network with, it creates so much more tradition, loyalty and all-around availability for jobs," said senior environmental studies major Morgan Moliver. "The Aggie network is so impressive that everyone wants a part of it because they know how great we are."

To measure the growth and the improvement of the university, Vision 2020 uses two reports, the U.S. News and World Report and a report from the National Research Council. In the past 11 years, Texas A&M moved up three places in these rankings, achieved the highest graduation rates in the state of Texas and strengthened the Arts and Humanities departments, among other accomplishments.

"We believe that our concerted, focused effort on Vision 2020 over the past decade has played a major role in increasing Texas A&M's status among the nation's top universities," Cook said.

Last fall, The Wall Street Jounal also took notice. Texas A&M has remained one of the top recruiters in the nation, despite the economy, and ranked second among U.S. universities in the employer-driven survey..

"We have the other education besides just going to class," said senior accounting major Ellen Freudenberger. "We learn more about real life experiences through student organizations."