A&M-LA Tech game postponed

Published: Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Updated: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 02:08

Hurricane Isaac breached the southeastern coast of Louisiana Tuesday night, leaving Texas A&M and Louisiana Tech without a season opener.

The storm, recorded as a Category 1 hurricane, is expected to be too much of a threat to players and spectators at Independence Stadium in Shreveport, La.

“Players would be at risk. Families would be at risk,” said Steven Parr, Shreveport’s chief meteorologist. “From a moral standpoint, they have to be cautious. There are too many scenarios where the consequences aren’t worth risking.”

Unwilling to cancel due to the possibility of affecting late season rankings, the two programs agreed to postpone the nationally acclaimed contest. The date is set for the week of Oct.13, a bye week for both Texas A&M and Louisiana Tech.

The bye week would have been a break before facing LSU, ranked No. 3 in the preseason by The Associated Press.

Taking Louisiana Tech’s place as the season opener will be the Aggies’ first SEC conference matchup: Florida.

In a game many consider to be one of the most significant in A&M’s school history, the anticipation shifts to Sept. 8.

“It’s an interesting situation. We were all really excited to play (Louisiana Tech),” said Spencer Nealy, A&M’s starting defensive tackle. “With Florida, though, we’re still going out there looking for a victory. It would have been nice to have some experience as a team, but now we have a lot more time to prepare. More time is never bad time.”

Last February, Texas A&M replaced their prescheduled opener against McNeese State with Louisiana Tech, hoping to garner increased national recognition versus the Western Athletic Conference’s 2011 champion.

A&M students all over campus have also been affected, driven to cancel their early semester plans to visit Louisiana.

“I was really looking forward to hitting up Shreveport for the game,” senior chemical engineering major David Young said. “It was disappointing they had to move the date. Now we even have to go up against Florida first. That in itself is somewhat nerve-racking.”