Race bid expected to end for Akins

Published: Wednesday, August 29, 2001

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

DALLAS (AP) — Democratic gubernatorial candidate Marty Akins, a former University of Texas quarterback, is reportedly planning to drop out of the race and pursue another statewide office.

People familiar with Akins’ plans told The Dallas Morning News in Tuesday’s editions that the former All-American — now a Marble Falls attorney — will defer to multimillionaire Laredo banker and oilman A.R. ‘‘Tony’’ Sanchez Jr., who is considered the Democrats’ front-runner.

‘‘Marty Akins, in the name of party unity, is considering seeking some other race rather than running for governor in what would be a very tough-fought primary,’’ a person familiar with recent discussions among Akins’ campaign aides and other political consultants told the newspaper.

‘‘The desire to defeat Republican Gov. Rick Perry is so strong that Marty is willing to consider this in an effort to unify the party rather than do damage to one another in a primary,’’ said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

A formal announcement was expected Tuesday, according to the report.

Akins may instead run for comptroller, land commissioner or for a seat on the Texas Railroad Commission, said political consultants who spoke on condition of anonymity.