A new place to hang your hat

Dorms provide students with both good and bad experiences

Published: Monday, September 2, 2002

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

Living on campus is a rite of passage for college freshmen, and the enjoyment of the experience can depend on whether you're crammed into a tiny dorm room with your best friend from high school or a total stranger who never does his laundry.

Another factor is just how much space one has, something that Texas A&M's residence halls vary in greatly, depending on one's hall assignment and the cost of each hall.

At the bottom of the heap in terms of price and level of air-conditioning, the ramp-style residence halls are affordable, though aged and known for camaraderie and rivalry with other halls that has, in the past, lead to food fights and "hall unity" songs.

When "Walton loads!" is shouted during yell practice and at football games, it's because the guys from Walton were the only heavy-lifting log-carriers at Bonfire.

Walton and Hart halls are both divided up in ramps with individual access points at the door to each multi-storied ramp. The halls are suite-style, meaning two rooms share a common bath between them, and both are air-conditioned by newly installed window units. Walton is all-male, Hart is co-ed by ramps. Many who share these rooms leave their beds in bunk bed format, though there is enough room to pull both beds down and still walk around, if you do some creative stacking with dressers and other furniture. Both halls ring up at $998 a semester, making them the only halls on campus that is now less than $1,000.

The next level up are the corridor style residence halls. These include the Corps dorms, though they are administered through the Corps of Cadets and not the Department of Residence Life. In each of these halls, there are two bathrooms per floor, with four toilets and five showers in each. Roommates share a pretty tight space, with their beds either up near the ceiling in lofts or kept in bunk beds. There is a sink in every room, and two space-conserving closets. Most of the corridor-style dorms are located on Northside, but the few on Southside are former Corps-dorms given over to non-reg residence over the years. This also means that Southside corridor halls share their laundry facilities with the Corps of Cadets.

Davis-Gary has a substance-free floor, which means that residents who live there sign a form saying they will not bring in alcohol, drugs or cigarettes. All corridor-styles but Hotard will cost you $1,205; Hotard's room rent is $1,098 a semester.

Balcony halls are the Northside dorms that look almost like hotels or apartments. You access the front door of your room from the outside, like at an apartment complex. The rooms are suite-style with a shared bath. Each room is still the size that beds are bunked or up in lofts. McInnis has a substance-free floor. The price for these halls is $1,287 a semester.

Commons residence halls are located on the Southside of campus, arranged in an H-pattern with women's halls on one side of the H and men's on the other. In the middle is the Commons dining center, a recreation and study area, mail center and convenience store. For $1,730 a semester, the rooms are big enough to keep both beds on the floor, and ample closet space keeps roommates from feeling too cramped. The rooms are suite-style with a shared bath. Aston and Krueger substance free floors.

The only residence halls on campus with private baths and enough room to feel like you're not bothering your roommate when you crawl into bed or leave the light on at your desk late at night are the modulars. Because of their popularity, these halls have traditionally been the hardest for freshmen to get in to as their first-ranked choice with Residence Life.

Except for Cain Hall, the athletes' hall, the cost of comfort in a modular is $1,891 a semester. Eppright and Wells modular halls both have substance-free floors.