Top College News Subscribe to the Newsletter


Texas Tech fans storm stadium after game

Published: Monday, November 5, 2001

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 23:07

LUBBOCK -- Dr. Mike McKinney, chief of staff for Texas Gov. Rick Perry, was among the Texas A&M fans assaulted during the post-game celebration by Texas Tech fans after the Red Raiders' 12-0 defeat over A&M at Jones SBC Stadium Saturday.

See slideshow photos here.

McKinney, 50, is the father of A&M senior center Seth McKinney. He was involved in a skirmish in the stands and received eight stitches from A&M team physician Dr. J. P. Bramhall.

"We lost the game," McKinney said. "We've lost before and we'll lose again. But there's no sense in all of that. It's absolute foolishness."

In an Associated Press article, Texas Tech campus police are said to be investigating the scuffle that occurred Saturday between the opposing groups of fans.

Texas Tech Interim Chancellor David Smith called for the probe into all the post-game, on-field events, university spokeswoman Cindy Rugeley said Sunday.

``The investigation is about who all was doing what," she said. ``One of the key goals is to keep it from happening again."

As the final seconds of the game ticked off, Tech fans went down on the field and headed toward the south end zone goal posts.

Despite the goal posts being guarded by more than half a dozen Texas Tech University police officers and numerous requests from the stadium public address announcer for the fans to stay off the field, the fans tore down the goal posts.

The fans then carried the goal posts to the north end zone, toward section 15, where McKinney and other A&M fans were sitting. The Tech fans shoved the goal posts into the stands. McKinney, who was against the wall closest to the field, attempted to keep the fans from coming up into the stands.

"I was trying to keep them from coming up in the stands," McKinney said. "I pushed two of them down, and grabbed my binoculars and said, `The next one that comes up gets it.' Then, somebody who was already in the stands, I guess, came up and knocked the fool out of me. I saw him hit me -- a kid in a red shirt.

"It was like the Alamo," McKinney said. "They were coming up over the wall."

According to McKinney, the two uniformed police officers who were six feet away did nothing to help control the situation. The officers asked McKinney for his identification, a request to which he complied with his government identification card.

After the incident, McKinney was escorted to the A&M locker room by a police officer and the family of A&M junior offensive lineman Michael Mahan, where Bramhall treated him.

According to the Texas Tech University Police Department, no arrests were made.

"The actions of a group of students tarnished an important victory by our football team by not only tearing down the goalposts, but also by carrying the goalposts and making an attempt to place it in the Texas A&M section," said Texas Tech Director of Athletics Gerald Meyers in a written statement.

"This behavior is an embarrassment to the university and will not be condoned by students, alumni or fans of Texas Tech. On behalf of the University, I want to apologize to Texas A&M for the behavior of a group of students who acted irresponsibly. This type of behavior will not be tolerated and we will take steps to insure it doesn't happen again."

McKinney was named Perry's chief of staff Aug. 24, 2001. He was Texas Health and Human Services Commissioner under President George W. Bush during his tenure as governor of Texas.

Recommended: Articles that may interest you

Be the first to comment on this article! Log in to Comment

You must be logged in to comment on an article. Not already a member? Register now

Log In