Yell leaders encourage arch yell attendance

Published: Thursday, October 2, 2003

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

Yell practice for this week's football game against Texas Tech University will be held Thursday at 7 p.m. in front of the Quadrangle's arches on the Texas A&M campus. Many students and guests regularly attend the traditional Midnight Yell Practices on Fridays before the game, but fewer show up to away game yell practices, also known as "arch yells." Yell leaders said they have been trying to promote away game yell practices in hopes that Aggies will support the football team when they play outside of Kyle Field. "It's a neat way to get really excited, even though the game isn't here," said head yell leader Tim Bailey. "I would really love for the residence halls and different organizations from around campus to come out." Away game yell practices are held in front of the arches on the Quad. In an attempt to draw more attention to this tradition, Bailey said they may be held in different locations around campus throughout the year. "It's a different environment, but it's fun," he said. Bailey said attendance at arch yells is low because students are unaware of them. "Typically it's just the Corps (of Cadets)," he said. Sophomore Benton Hodges said he was unaware of the away game yells and had never attended one. "I usually do stuff with my dorm, and they've never made the initiative to go," Hodges said. Bailey said yell leaders remain positive about arch yells despite a smaller turnout than traditional Midnight Yell Practices. "The point is we're all coming together and getting ready to beat the hell outta whatever team we play next," said junior yell leader Ryan Bishop. Yell leaders said they hope to have a good student turnout at tonight's yell practice. "It's a smaller crowd than Midnight Yell, which is something we're trying to work on," Bailey said.