UPD arrests A&M cadets for tunnel trip

Published: Monday, May 7, 2007

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

1A_0508steamtunnels_DB.gif

Daniel Bates

A grate leading to the University's underground steam tunnels is locked near the Quad. The steam tunnels are off-limits to the public.

Four Texas A&M Corps of Cadets members were arrested April 28 after University Police Department officials found them climbing out of an entrance to the University's steam tunnels.

Squadron 16 members Brian Goss, 21, and Nicholas Clark, 21, and E-2 members Logan Westerman, 18, and Brandon Faber, 21, have been charged with criminal trespassing and misdemeanor theft. An additional charge of public intoxication was filed against Faber.

Bert Kretzschmar, assistant police chief of support services, said a University Police Department security officer observed Faber coming out of a tunnel entrance near Nagle Street at about 12:10 a.m. Faber was located and arrested as a UPD certified officer arrested Goss, Westerman and Clark when they emerged from the tunnels a few minutes later.

In addition to trespassing on University property, the students also had maroon and green signs in their possession. Kretzschmar said the signs are used as directorial tools for Physical Plant employees.

There are sealed metal doors and grates that are entries into the steam tunnels located around campus, Kretzschmar said. The tunnels house a network of pipes, supplying many buildings on campus with chilled and steamed water.

"There are legitimate points of entry (into the steam tunnels) for the Physical Plant to get in and service the pipes," Kretzschmar said. "The tunnels are not accessible to the public. They are dangerous, and there is nothing glamorous about them."

Kretzschmar also said many of the access points are alarmed. If an armed grate or door is opened, a signal is sent to UPD and the Physical Plant.

If convicted, Goss, Clark, Westerman and Faber can be fined up to $2,000 and spend a maximum of 180 days in jail for each charge against them. Faber also faces a fine up to $500.

Paperwork detailing the charges and incident has been sent to Student Conflict Resolution Services, where University officials will decide what disciplinary actions to take, Kretzschmar said.

Following University policy, the Corps of Cadets could not comment on any ongoing investigation against the students.