Aggies find new ways of 'ring dunking'

Published: Thursday, September 14, 2006

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

Every semester, a new group of students are recognized for their academic achievement through the tradition of Aggie Ring Day, celebrated this Thursday by Aggies getting their rings.

Some students are departing from the traditional "ring dunk" in alcoholic beverages by mixing the tradition with their favorite food and drinks.

After a student receives his or her Aggie ring, it is a time-honored student tradition to dunk the ring in a pitcher of beer and to drink the entire beverage, leaving only the ring.

Danny van der Hoeven, a senior business major, says he has decided to dunk his ring in orange juice instead of alcohol.

"I just really like orange juice," van der Hoeven said. "I like it just thick enough to where you almost have to chew it."

He said drinking alcohol is "not really his thing," and even though many of his friends have tried to persuade him, he prefers the different approach to dunking.

"A big part of getting the ring is tradition," van der Hoeven said. "My dad was Class of 1979. I have been staring at it my whole life and now I finally get to have one."

Van der Hoeven said the ring reminds him of his hard work and displays the core values of Texas A&M.

Meredith Meuth, a senior kinesiology major, is among one of van der Hoeven's friends that is also straying from the alcoholic dunking approach.

Meuth decided to dunk her ring in an angel food cake - because she likes them so much.

"We got an angel food cake for a barbecue and I ended up eating half of it," Meuth said. "So, I thought it would be a good idea to dunk my ring in it."

Meuth said when she dunks her ring, her family, as well as other families, will be there, so not having alcohol involved seemed like a good idea.

Meredith and her friends are in assorted leadership positions in the community, which is a contributing factor in their decision to abstain from alcohol, she said.

"We thought using random things would just be really fun," Meuth said.

Whitney Wright, a senior business management major, said she will receive her ring Thursday, and then dunk it in a pitcher of sweet tea.

"I don't think I could drink that much beer," Wright said. "That's going to be a lot of caffeine though."

Wright said she had gone through many years of college to get her ring, and she will wear it proudly.

"I'm getting a diamond in it, the antique one," Wright said. "Hopefully I'll be wearing it way down the road."

Her sister, along with her neighbor and her parents' neighbors went to A&M and received their rings.

"They quizzed me last weekend, they asked me how many stars were on the ring," Wright said. "I said there were five, but there are actually 39 stars."