Ranking means little in BCS

Bowl system is still around primarily because of money, that is sad.

Published: Thursday, August 28, 2008

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

We have this talk every year. The Bowl Championship Series, or BCS, ranking system is broken and no one who can change it wants to fix its problems. Welcome to another year of talking heads whining about how college football needs a tournament system to declare a true winner.

The BCS, though, has mixed the blood red carnage of football with the seductive green of the dollar bill, and there is no escape. The revenues generated from the bowl system are through the roof and pander to the bowl sponsors' financial interests. Because, as everyone knows, college football isn't about dramatic matchups or historic upsets, it's about corporate America.

The BCS is illogic manifested. It has created a myriad of ho-hum games that make better background entertainment than holiday drama. Did anyone seriously get excited over the A&M-California matchup in the 2006 Holiday Bowl? Not I. What about USC and Illinois last year? Kansas vs Virginia Tech? How do you screw up a game that has USC in it? Oh yeah, you arbitrarily determine its opponent through an impersonal and flawed computer ranking system that has no idea that Illinois doesn't matter when it comes to football. Whoopee.

Can we get some playoffs please? Every sport on Earth concedes that the best teams have to prove it on the field, except for the sport that is best primed for dramatic showdowns. There was nothing dramatic about LSU's victory over a cupcake-fattened Ohio State. We all knew it was going to happen. I remember the ESPN.com poll for that matchup - who will win the 2007 BCS Championship, Ohio State or LSU? Only the state of Ohio thought the Buckeyes had a prayer. Surprise.

And that, more than anything else, makes me tear my 12th Man towel in rage. There isn't an ounce of drama in any of it. You might as well be playing NCAA Football 2008. Actually, I would prefer that to the current system.

I'll send that to the powers that be: Instead of hunkering down in some bunker somewhere while some card-puncher spits out the rankings, why not buy up some TV time and air simulated games through an Xbox. It'd be a heck of a lot more exciting than watching the real thing.