Hey God, remember me?

Hey God, remember me?

Published: Thursday, September 6, 2001

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 20:07

All too often in today’s society, spirituality is crowded out by commitments and activities, a point of neglect that has led our nation into a perpetual spin down the toilet bowl of morality. As our society continues to be driven toward seeking financial success at all costs, spiritual guidance in the home has hit an all-time low.

This neglect can be seen everywhere. A glance at late-night television programming reveals nothing but sexual situations, while evening news programming revolves around the latest murders and rapes.

Data from the U.S. Census Bureau indicates that during the last 40 years, violent crimes have risen to 3.5 times the 1960 rate, while rapes and assaults are up nearly 10 times since that time. Many blame our problems on explicit television programming and violent video games, but these are only symptoms of the larger problem.

America’s ability to shut out indecent content has been lost. Choices are made based on the moral code that has been taught, and it is no coincidence that the family and societal values that America wants to reclaim are the same morals most religions are built on. As society puts religion further behind the pursuit of money, its morals have drifted accordingly. Unfortunately, this spiritual slump is not restricted to the working world. This trend has slipped into the life of the average college student who often finds it hard to manage their time. The decision to attend church on Sunday morning has become trivial, hindered by long hours at the office and sleepless nights of school work.

Without the moral direction offered by the church, the average household becomes vulnerable to many negative influences. Society has become too busy to police itself and is allowing the media to dictate the moral code.

The average business person's schedule has become so full that he or she is no longer able to monitor what enters their household. Children are often left at home alone, too naive to turn off an explicit show. With no one home to guard their eyes, America’s youth are bombarded by shows like “Temptation Island” and “Jerry Springer” and left at the mercy of the TV networks for role models.

Growing up in a home where these shows are regularly watched has left many young adults craving sensationalism. People have become too interested in shows focusing on sexuality and shock value, and are now unwilling to sacrifice just a little entertainment for the sake of moral decency. America is headed towards a state of moral instability with little hope in sight.

A new generation must repair the damage done by the morally lax policies currently in place. As soon-to-be leaders of the community, students must make the decision to develop their spiritual identity early, in order to make an impact in their own households.

Unfortunately, in college the decision to maintain spirituality becomes tough. Between homework assignments, organization meetings and work schedules, students barely have the time to attend religious activities. The tendency to start strong and finish weak is a common one. Students often begin the year by attending religious gatherings, but become overwhelmed by school and quit going.

“Each year we see a drop off rate of about 20 percent from the beginning of the year to the end of the year,” said Gregg Matte of Breakaway Ministries, which is a praise-and-worship ceremony held weekly in Reed Arena.

Students often begin with the best of intentions only to be sidetracked by other commitments. People must make the decision to set aside the time for religion or otherwise risk becoming another person with a full wallet and empty morals. These problems will not improve until people institute spirituality in their homes. The American lifestyle has become too busy for spiritual focus and is now paying the price by slowly destroying itself.

is senior electrical engineering major.