Aggie Ring misconceptions clarified

Published: Friday, March 4, 2005

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 22:07

I am a senior mechanical engineering student. One of many special days I will treasure from my time in Aggieland is April 22, 2004, the day I got my Aggie Ring. In response to the recent mail calls about the Aggie Ring and the many misconceptions that I have found expressed by some Aggies, I feel it is necessary for me to clear some things up.

First of all, the price of the Aggie Ring is directly set by the cost of gold at the time of ordering your ring. Balfour ­- the people who make our ring, other colleges' rings and even the Super Bowl rings - sets the price for the ring and any diamond an individual should choose to have put in their ring.

Secondly, the full price of the Aggie Ring is paid for by the student purchasing the ring. Let me repeat that: the Association of Former Students does not pay for half of your ring. The price is so low because each and every Aggie Ring is the same except for the class year and the name inscribed inside of it. This saves Balfour from having to make different dies for each style of ring.

If one so desires, a monetary value can be put on the Aggie Ring, but that trivializes the hours of hard work that a student must complete to even be considered before purchasing a ring. The requirements for earning an Aggie Ring are currently the most stringent among all universities in this nation.

We Aggies have been wearing class rings since 1889. The thousands of Aggies who have proudly worn their rings add to the symbolism, history and tradition that make up this piece of gold I wear on my finger.