Bible quotes taken out of context

In response to an Oct. 19 mail call:

Published: Thursday, October 20, 2005

Updated: Wednesday, July 25, 2012 21:07

Mr. Ferguson, I think it's great that you back up your thoughts, but I do believe you are mistaken in your understanding of this subject.

As you probably know, Deuteronomy is the written record of the laws of almost 3000 years ago - times were different back then. The first two sections you referred to, Deut. 22:13-25, refer not to rape, but consensual adultery and premarital sex - both of which are blatantly looked down on in that passage. In the day when this was law and unlike today, it was the utmost respect to save your virginity for marriage. The third passage you quote from does not refer to whether the woman screams, but rather that she attempts to make it known that she is getting raped, and not consenting to adultery. You also say raping a woman was legal back then, but then go on to list punishments for those acts - if something is legal, why would there be punishments in the law for it? Probably because that act was actually illegal. Although the Bible will not condone sin, it always affords the utmost rights possible - I still say, "Yes, the Bible should be the standard for sexual morality."

Adam Holt Class of 2007